Calcium is vital for our body’s overall growth and functionality. Besides that, this mineral is also essential for our bones. Here, it must be noted that, we usually get calcium through our diet. According to some clinical studies, calcium along with vitamin D, may have multiple benefits. It not only protects our body from cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure, but also helps it to function properly.
Health problems due to calcium deficiency (Calcium deficiency or hypocalcaemia can occur at any age) –
- Low bone mass.
- Risk of osteoporosis.
- Frequent fractures.
- Difficulty in walking.
- Children may not reach their adult height.
That’s why it’s more than important to make your bones as powerful as possible.
Calcium Deficiency Symptoms –
- Fainting, heart failure and chest pains.
- Fatigue, seizures, coarse hair and brittle nails, etc.
Major bone related problems –
|When bones are somewhat thin and weak, the condition is called osteopenia.||When bones become very weak, thin and brittle, the condition is called osteoporosis.|
Did you know?
- Body doesn’t produce calcium.
- Vitamin D aids in the absorption of calcium.
- Vitamin K helps to keep bones strong.
- Calcium supplements can help you to meet your calcium requirements.
- Several technologies can assess bone density, but the most common is known as dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA).
Statistical facts and figures –
- According to a medical report, each year, osteoporosis contributes to more than 2 million bone fractures in the United States.
- About 10.2 million Americans have osteoporosis, which is defined by weak and porous bones.
Recommended daily intake of calcium –
According to a medical report, the recommended daily intake for calcium is 1,000 milligrams (mg) a day for adults up through age 50 and 1,200 mg a day for people ages 51 and older. However, it often depends on the age, physical condition as well as gender of a person.
Types of calcium supplements –
|Calcium carbonate||Calcium citrate|
|Calcium gluconate||Calcium lactate|
Calcium Deficiency Prevention
Effective ways to boost bone strength –
- Get enough calcium and vitamin D.
- Rely on fruits, vegetables, and grains.
- Include magnesium and phosphorus in your diet.
- Women should maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Embrace walking, dancing, or step aerobics to protect your bones.
- Choose exercises that target bones of the hips, spine, and wrists.
Besides that, you can take calcium carbonate tablets or any other calcium supplements as per your doctor’s advice. Your doctor can develop a better strategy to protect your bones.
Additional tips for women and children to protect and strengthen bones –
- Choose a proper strength training program.
- Include broccoli, spinach, avocado and kale in your diet.
- Have your thyroid checked.
- Make sure you get your doctor’s or dietician’s advice before starting any exercise program.
Remember – Proper intake of calcium, vitamin D, as well as weight-bearing activities can improve your bone’s health.
In a nutshell, calcium deficiency is a common problem; however, it may become fatal, if not diagnosed and treated properly. That is why, it is advisable to talk to your doctor, and if you believe you have calcium deficiency and need calcium supplements for optimum health.