We all know that sciatica is one of the most common types of pain and can disturb the lifestyle of an individual. According to Mayoclinic, sciatica refers to pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve, which branches from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down each leg. Fact – Sciatica is common, affecting 10% to 40% of the population.
- Severe pain in your low back or leg
- Pain or discomfort in lower (lumbar) spine to buttock
- Numbness in the genital or groin areas
- Age and obesity
- Diabetes and prolonged sitting
People often report intense pain in their lower back, which is nothing but sciatica. There are many ways that can help you to get complete relief –
- Exercise – According to some experts, walking, jogging, dancing, isometric exercises, yoga, pilates and even low intensity exercises can help relieve sciatica. (You can also learn sciatica exercises from a trained medical professional.)
- Strengthen your core – Strengthening of your core muscles means strengthening your back, side, pelvis and buttocks. It can improve your overall muscular strength and relieve sciatica.
- Reduce your weight – According to a report, being obese can increase your risk for sciatica. If you are having sciatica, then you must focus on reducing your weight. It will also reduce inflammation and pressure on the spine.
- Avoid sitting for long periods – It always makes sense to avoid sitting for long hours, particularly, if you have sciatica. It will intensify your pain and put pressure on your lower back muscles.
- Posture – Always pay attention to your body’s position when you are standing or sitting, it helps you to ease your pain. Make sure you always practice good posture and always keep your back straight.
Besides all these, you should always avoid lifting heavy objects, if you have sciatica. Today, doctors recommend the most suitable medicines that can provide instant pain relief to patients.